Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve Jólabókaflóðið





It’s a lovely dry cold day here on this Christmas Eve in my part of Ireland , the north west coast( Wild Atlantic Way). Presents are wrapped , fairy lights are glowing , food is being prepared and the last bits of cleaning and tidying have begun . Christmas movies , pjs and cosy socks will be laid out tonight , and for the first time we will be exchanging books thanks to a lovely Icelandic tradition of Jólabókaflóðið , or bookflood in English , that we (in my house) have now adopted  . It would not take much for me to join in with extra ways to bring more books into my life at any time of the year but there is something extra special about doing this on Christmas Eve after the hustle and bustle of the run up to Christmas . 

I have wrapped up two books for two people , one has flown across the ocean to my friend and the other is for my hubby . I will take great delight in watching him open his gift this evening , he has no clue what I have got him ( he is going to love it) .

I have really enjoyed reading up about 

Jólabókaflóðið , it seems like the most perfect solution to the long dark nights we have at this time of year , the idea of flooding your life with books amid the darkness of winter sounds like a introverts dream , but not just that , it’s all those fabulous unread books and new authors .... oh the excitement!!! Eeekkkk


Have you heard about Jólabókaflóðið , will you be joining in this tradition ? I am hoping to make this a new yearly tradition , a way to ease into Christmas with the most blissful way I know how ... sharing a lovely book . So from my house to yours I wish you a peaceful Christmas Eve and happy reading xxxxxx






Vintage Books Podcast : Talking About The Icelandic tradition of the Book Flood . 

No comments:

Post a Comment