Monday, June 25, 2012

Long Awaited Book Haul June 2012

I was recently going through my "Books To Buy" list and as it was getting quite extensive I decided to do something about it.....
Ahhhhh bookshops... Or little shops of dreams as they deserve to be called...you walk in ..you may or may not have a list(as long as your arm) and  as soon as you come in the door the smell of books whacks you around the chops. It is usually quiet or at the very least has some nice relaxing music being played in the background to make the whole book buying experience even more relaxing then it already is. ...
 I dont have many rules when it comes to book buying but I do have some:

1= Discourage all forms of chatting with any friends you may have wandered in store with.
2=Never bother asking sales assistants for books you may have been looking for.. they won't ever have what you are looking for or have even heard of them.

I do hate talking to non bookish type friends when in a bookstore.. How can I explain that I love to wander around the store quietly as my mind is zooming around with book discriptions and characters that sound interesting...

It is magical in there....ya know...bookstores.. the colours and textures , the promises of lands far away and characters I dont even know I love yet. Where else can you find in this world Demons, Goblins, Fairys, different worlds, good and bad guys, maybe some gangster grannies and mrs robinson types, castles and wizards all under one roof.....

So this particular day as I did mention I had a list.. some of the books were new releases some were published a while ago... I was unable to get everything on my list but I was quite happy with what I did get.

Book one- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.
Book two- Magnolia Park by Kate McCabe
Book three-The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend
Book four-The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott
Book five-Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper
Book six-Peaches For Monsieur Le Cure
Book seven-The Letters Off Noel Coward

This is a pretty randon book haul.. but there is some wonderful books here..
I have read previous books by Kate Morton and I have read all of Kate McCabe's previous books. They are wonderful and I highly recommend them.. esp this time of year as they are perfect beach reads.. esp Magnolia Park which is based on the Costa del Sol where the main characters are going for their holidays.Kate Morton writes books that you can sink into and devour, the characters are well described and her ability to set a scene is astounding.You will find after popping your head back out from one of her books that hours may have gone past like that blink of an eye.

Louisa May Alcott has been a long time favourite with me.Her book Little Women has remained in my top ten faourites since I was able to read for myself. I re-read it every year around christmas time when I am reminded just how great this book is . The Quiet Little Woman I have not read before so I am looking forward to finding out what that is about... I will write a review when I am finished it.
Noel Coward..  well lets just say if you are looking for an informative , engaging, humourous book with bitchy one liners and a cast of fabulous people then look no further.. The book contains a huge amount of pictures about this great man and all the famous people that had the joy of knowing him.I think it would have been fabulous to be in his circle of friends .. he did enjoy life.. ALOT!!!!
I am trying to finish up other books before I begin reading this properly, I have dipped in and out of it but am keen to sit down properly and do it justice.

Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure... third book in the Chocolat series .. I have read book one and have down loaded The Lollipop Shoes(the second book in the series). The first book I loved .. the character of Vianne really peaked my interest and I am looking forward to reading what has happened since Chocolat.

Fallen Grace I picked up for 2.50 . I liked the cover..... I know .. never judge a book by it's cover but it is pretty !!!!!!The story is based in gloomy London in  1861.. it is an errie tale about Grace Parkes a very determined young woman who needs to do whatever it takes to survive in London at this bleak time.This is a new authur to me so I will let you know how I get on with it  and the writing style.

Well friends that's all for this week .. until next week Happy Reading xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment